Sunday, March 30, 2008

Portal's supposed to be coming out on the PC in a little over a week. This is awesome, as I don't have to buy an xbox for something I didn't particularly enjoy the first time I played it, though admittedly, it may have been the company I played it with.

The VG Cats song video is pretty cute though....


So what's up with this article? It appear to be saying that peahens don't choose a mate based on his plummage. They seem to be basing this on experimental results observed when they presented females with males that vary very little in their plummage. I...wha...? There are some other "wtf" correlations made in the article, so you should read it. I'm hoping I'll remember to read the actual scientific article, as a fair amount of these "science in 'normal' language" articles get dumbed down to the point that they omit critical information, or just end up being completely wrong.

Now that I think about it, my guess is that the scientists deliberately chose peacocks with little variation in feather pattern, because they wanted to test an additional or alternate theory for mate selection. Basically saying, "okay, we have studies showing peahens like teh featherz, but is it ONLY that?" Perhaps the person writing the "layman" article got confused and thought there was only one way to attract a mate for the cocks, and figured it must be replacing the current belief.

Ah well, if I remember to read the journal article, I'll try to post back on it.....


....heheh, cocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home